Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Butternut Squash

Ok I'll admit something here. Whenever I see butternut squash, it totally makes me giggle. I know...I'm 10. In my efforts to prepare my daughter's baby food, I bought my first butternut squash (actually, my first squash purchase ever!) a couple of weeks ago. I had NO clue how to fix this so I went to my trusty baby food site and looked up directions.

It's pretty easy!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
Cut it
Gut it - you know, scoop out the seeds
fill a baking dish with about an inch of water
place the squash halves face down
cook for about 40 min - the skin will start to pull away
then you just scoop out your squash

Once I 'cooked' my squash, I threw it in the food processor until it was smooth. There are several different methods out there for storing homemade baby food. I like to throw mine in some ice cube trays and them store them in ziploc baggies. It's much less expensive and hey, who doesn't like that these days??

Here are a few pictures of my first butternut squash...I like to call him Benny.


















No comments:

Post a Comment